Saturday, September 29, 2012

It happened in a second...

It was just a transfer of signals,
Codes, numbers, accounts, identity,
From one secured space to 
Another password protected space.

It happened in a second.

On September 28, 2012,
I got my first salary,
First internship salary,
Sitting in my grey cubicle,
Made colorful by doodled
Paper coffee cups.

Is this what I wanted?
Is this what I needed?
Atleast it seemed that way,
When I signed on the call letter,
And contract forms,
Which made me sell my creativity,
For a while,
To a company that I owed a lot to,
For making me survive all my juries,
In my under graduate and post-graduate
Design life.

Material can never satiate the soul,
That is something I have concluded,
When the dream you had, 
Of earning your first salary,
Gets shattered, 
In a second of your life.

Then the vacuum sets in,
That makes you write,
Pieces like this,
Drinking scotch on the rocks,
And smoking marlboro lights.

If everything was complete,
And was going all right,
Was life worth living
Without the void and the fights?

The irony lies in ourselves,
We complicate our own lives,
By trying to simplify the complicated,
Only to get sucked into monotonous black holes,
Of a daily routined lifestyle. 

It happened in a second.
But it's novelty is gone.
Because it will happen again and again,
Like a letterpress machine
Printing paper leaflets,
That will get extinct with time.

1 comment:

Anindya 'Suman' Kundu said...

Sometimes I feel everything in life is just an illusion... Because there's absolutely nothing you can really hold on to... All our aspirations nothing but a mirage a thirsty traveler sees in a desert. Chasing a mirage is so exhausting... On hindsight I realize the better way to travel the sandy paths of time, is just to take shelter under a gentle but shady sand-dune during the day and travel when its cooler at night under the bright moonshine... let the stars of destiny guide you...