Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Remember...

I remember…

My windowpane, overlooking the slum,

The huge slum spread across seven lanes.

The huge brick wall built between my house and theirs.

The crazy boys trying to jump the lanes,

Peep into my world of privacy and happiness.

I remember the constructed difference slapped onto my feelings.


I remember…

Listening to Jimmy’s heavy baritone voice over the midnight radio.

The power he had in his voice to woo the women.

His calm and witty advice,

To the innumerable couples

Plaguing him with their problems.

I, remember being worried for him,

Over millions of signals across the phone,

Wondering how his girlfriend

Would be missing him so much,

Because of these nightlong shows,

Every weekend.

I remember him to be

The young Xavier’s College

Mass communication graduate,

And how I copiously cried overnight,

When I found out his age.


I remember…

The VCR,

The amazing Lion King and Alladin Videos,

I saw on it.

How amazing Walt Disney

Looked to me.

How desperately,

I wanted to visit Disney Land,

When my cousin from America,

Would harp about its grandeur.


I remember…

Elton John singing ‘Candle in the Wind’

When Diana died.

His fair fingers touching the piano keys,

And his eyes swelling up,

With the notes he hit.


I remember…

Praying,

With my eyes closed,

In front of

Mother Teresa’s lifeless body.

For the first time,

I thought the world would STOP,

And all the GOOD things,

Will cease to exist.


I remember…

Singing with Madonna,

When she stood at the balcony,

In front of a crowd-less crowd,

In the movie Evita,

Singing ‘Don’t cry for me Argentina’.


I remember…

The one last breath

Of my Grandmother.


I remember…

The tear,

At the corner

Of my eye,

Waiting to drop

When I hugged

Him tight,

And said

Goodbye.


I remember…

Drowning,

Almost…

In the middle

Of the Lakshadweep sea,

During my first

Banana Boat Ride.


I remember…

Lalwani,

Pune,

My balcony,

And the skyline,

Of the City,

In which

I grew.

Grew.

Grew.

And never wanted to

Leave.


I remember…

Baba,

Trying to calm down Ma,

And Dada.

When words were spurted

Like hot coal,

And there was no difference

Between Parent and foe.

1 comment: